In Loving Memory – John Barnard QC (OH ’48)
John joined the School in 1945. In his final year in 1948, he was a School and boarding house prefect was second in sixth form, a corporal in the cadets, a boarder in charge of the tuck-shop and house tennis captain.
John graduated Bachelor of Laws from the University of Melbourne and was admitted to practice as a barrister and solicitor in 1955. He signed the roll of Counsel in 1956. He became a Queens Counsel in 1973 and developed a substantial practice on the common law side where he was in much demand. He was a member of the Victorian Bar Council from 1978 to 1986 and its Vice-Chairman in 1983/84. He was for many years involved in the work of the bodies administering the legal aid scheme in Victoria. John retired from active practice in 2000.
Our sympathies are passed on to his family and friends.